Overview of Canine Ethanol Toxicity
Ethanol is an alcohol that is used commonly as a solvent (liquid that dissolves) in medications and is the major ingredient of alcoholic beverages. It's also called ethyl alcohol and grain alcohol. Toxicity occurs in dogs when an excessive amount is ingested, and can cause a wide variety of signs, including death. Toxicity is more common in dogs than in cats.
Common causes of toxicity include:
What to Watch For
Signs of ethanol toxicity in dogs may include:
Diagnosis of Ethanol Toxicity in Dogs
Treatment of Ethanol Toxicity in Dogs
Emergency veterinary care is necessary for affected dogs. Treatment may include:
Home Care and Prevention
Watch your dog closely, and call your veterinarian if there are any changes or problems. You should also administer all prescribed medication as directed by your veterinarian. Continue with follow-up care.
Prevention involves keeping ethanol-containing products away from your dog. If you witness your dog ingesting ethanol, contact your veterinarian at once, even before the onset of any clinical signs.